Saturday, September 8, 2007

Are 29r's really all the rage???


Well, last night my buddy Greg finally got his new Badger 29r frame so I headed over to his house to help him build it. It's a pretty cool steel frame and I loved the machined headbadge. I'm just not so sure on 29r's and not completely sold, although my only experience with 29r's has been a short jaunt through the woods for maybe a mile. I can't say that was any way for me to make a complete assessment on the 29r revolution, but I can say I didn't like it and would have to take it for a few more spins. While I haven't done any considerable mt. biking over the past couple years, just a few races here and there, I can state that I'm in the dark with most things having to do with fat tires nowadays. While I started out my mt. biking and racing career(can I say career, it's not like I've ever gotten paid to ride) on fat tires in the early 90's and even progressed to the expert class, I've always stayed true to my hardtail. I've never bought into the whole dual suspension craze, or even disc brakes, and now you've got the 29r??? What is with this 29r craze, I know they've been around for a couple years now, but does that make my mt. bike a "26r"? Please, somebody enlighten me. I just don't know if it's because it's something new and everybody's got to have it so they let them believe that it's all that much of an innovation. I mean if one person says he likes it enough times and if he's someone of influence then sooner or later everybody else will start thinking the same thing. Is it really that great??? C'mon. I guess I'm out of the loop when it comes to the mt. bike crazes of today. I'll stick with my "26r" titanium hardtail with V-brakes for now and spend my money on my road bikes.


Well, on a race note, there was the Greensfelder race today that I was thinking about doing. I just don't feel that motivated for it, nor do I have a good rear wheel. I could borrow one, but just don't feel like doing the race after the Gateway Cup last weekend. After racing for four straight days it was hard enough to get back on my road bike and the weather didn't cooperate either. I do like that race though and the course suits me. The climbing and technical challenges overcome my lack of pure raw speed. I also put in about 45 semi hard miles yesterday and the pizza I ate at 10pm last night would propably not go well with racing this morning. So, as it stands, Greg and I will propably go on a road ride sometime today, maybe we can pry Denny from daddy daycare duties today. I kinda like this blogging thing, it gives me a place to air every excuse in the book!!! Alrighty then, I've been up for almost an hour and haven't even had my first cup of coffee.........that is blasphemy!!!

No comments: