Monday, July 14, 2008

My dilemna......

As I sit here at the grind with a little time on my hands I think about the dilemna I'm in. My dilemna is this. I had planned on doing a couple of races at Superweek up in Wisconsin to get in some races, but do I really want to spend $300-$400 for a couple of races? That is my burning question at the moment. They are great races to attend, but with the STXC series going on here I'm actually looking forward to doing a little off-road racing even if it is short track. I'm still getting a great workout and if I do both races like I did last week then it's definetly worth staying here and saving some dough.

The seasons got about two and a half months left in it and I'd say I've accomplished about 3/4's of my races that I've wanted to do. I wish I'd done more mt. bike racing as was the goal at the beginning of the season, but priorities have changed. There's still a lot of racing to be done in these next couple of months though.

This past Saturday I took a VO2 max test. I'm not sure how accurate it was though. two hours prior I had just gotten done doing a hard 60 mile ride out to St. Albans from my apartment. It was with the Ghisallo group. It was a good turnout, they always are, about 30-40 riders. It was pretty tame as usual until I got to the ossenfort climb, which, of course I had to hammer. It was pretty high tempo from there into St. Albans for a five minute break and a little regrouping. We headed out tame once again until the climb up melrose. I think I was first or second up the climb and then to Ossenfort before a few more riders latched on. It was full throttle the rest of the way back. It was about four of us, and we caught another Dogfish rider David. He made it with us for part of the way back before hitting another climb and then it was the four of us again. These are some of the hardest 12 mile stretches back to Ghisallo. I'd say it's safe to say average over 26 or 27 mph for that stretch. That was my first Ghisallo ride for the year and I'll hopefully make more. Needless to say, I didn't have much left for my VO2 test. I'll have a better report on my next test, good thing it was free.

I've gotten a little off track, but back to my dilemna, I think I'll stay in town and save some money. The STXC race is a blast anyways.

4 comments:

Country Grammar said...

Thanks for the kind words Rich. I have been riding a ton, but not much racing. I did the B race last week and plan on doing it tomorrow. I have made plans to do the dirt crit this Thursday as well. I hope to cat up to the threes with you guys after Gateway Cup. I will talk with you soon.
wyman

Cosmic Charlie said...

Rich,
Hi, it's Charlie, your hockey pal from Indiana. I've been trying to get in touch with you but without success. How is everything? We miss you back here in Indiana. You're old team finally won the IHC Cup!
Anyway, it seems you moved away too soon. I could sure use your cycling expertise as I just bought a road bike last week and I am experiencing some growing pains. Emphasis on pain. Drop an e-mail so we can catch up.
Charlie

Rich K said...

awsome!!! on both accounts. i emailed you. let me know what's up.

Country Grammar said...

Rich,

What race should I do at the Dirt Crits Thursday? I have never mtn raced and haven't been on the trails since Spring. I am in good road shape.

email if you want at:

bkw73@sbcglobal.net

Wyman